Hachinohe Sansha Taisai Festival
Hachinohe Sansha Taisai Festival is the largest festival in Hachinohe region with a history and tradition of over 290 years. It is held annually between July 31st and August 4th. As one of the Important Intangible Folk Cultural Properties of Japan, Hachinohe Sansha Taisai Festival captivates its visitors with 27 great ornate floats, a procession of mikoshi (portable shrines), and toramai (tiger dance).
On August 2nd, the peak of the festival, the event of Kagami-style Kiba Dakyu is held at the Chojasan Shinra Shrine.
Kiba Dakyu is a form of traditional martial arts performed on horseback which has only three forms left in Japan. The Kagami-style Kiba Dakyu of Hachinohe is designated as an Aomori Prefectural Intangible Folk Cultural Property. Kiba Dakyu is similar to polo, two teams (red and white) with four riders each compete to score against the other team. Riders use sticks with a net on one end to hurl a ball in their goal to score.
Origins of Hachinohe Sansha Taisai
The festival originates in 1721, when a sacred procession of mikoshi (portable shrines) took place at the Horyosan Ogami Shrine. Gradually, the townspeople joined the ritual. Prominent merchants added the tradition of carrying floats with decorative dolls and the toramai (tiger dance), where a pair of dancers perform in a tiger costume, also became part of the procession. The procession became a major festival to pray and express gratitude for good health and rich harvest.
Shinra Shrine and Shinmeigu Shrine joined the procession in 1884 and 1887 respectively, evolving the festival into Sansha Taisai, the festival of three shrines.
- Nanbu area
- Trip Category
- Summer Guide
- July 31st to August 4th Annually
- July 31st （Eve festival）18:00~21:00 Float exhibition and musical performance August 1st （Otōri (Departure)）15:00~ Parade of portable shrine and floats August 2nd （Peak Day）14:00~ Kagami-style Kiba Dakyu, 18:00~ Float parade August 3rd （Okaeri(Return)）15:00～ Parade of portable shrine and floats August 4th （Last day festival）18:00～20:00 Float exhibition and musical performance
- Hachinohe Tourist Convention Association
- Telephone Number
- Paid Reserved Seat ¥2,300 per seat
Sales begin in mid-April.
*Other seats are available free of charge.
Contact: Hachinohe Tourist Convention Association 0178-41-1661
- JR Hon-Hachinohe Station
Central Hachinohe city, Shicho-Mae Shimin Hiroba (City Hall Citizen Park)
- (English) VISIT HACHINOHESee trip advisor
- Free Wi-Fi
- Tax Free
- Parking Lot
- Face Masks